Wednesday 28 July 2010

First Service at 636 miles

My bike had its first service yesterday (27/7/2010). I rang Doble (the place I bought the bike) last week and they quoted £120 inc VAT for the first service. Given that they are a fair way from where I stay and that this wasn't a brilliant deal, I decided to give my local dealer, Grafton Motorcycles, Milton Keynes, a call. The lady on the line quoted me a price of £90 inc VAT, and I made sure to ask her that this included everything. I was therefore a bit miffed when I had to pay £107.69 for the service, apparently it was £91.64 ex VAT! Now this might not be a big difference but it is the principal that counts - this was pretty sneaky of them and left a bad aftertaste. She also claimed that they had used fully synthetic oil wheras I checked that the oil specified below is part synthetic. To add insult to injury, she then tried to sell me an extended warranty (a la Comet) for the bike! All I can say that next time I will ask for a written fully specified quote. Anyway for those that might be interested, here is the breakdown of the invoice:
Labor (1 hr): £45
Oil filter cartridge: £10.43
Castrol GPS Power 1 10W30 (part synthetic) 3.5L: £33.46
Sundries: £2.75
Sub total: £91.64
VAT: £16.05
Total: £107.69

With regards to the performance of the bike since the service, I have only ridden about 10 miles, and it seems fine, but its too early to say whether they is an improvement or not. I will report back!

No comments:

Post a Comment